I work best with goals when it comes to my exercise. I like having something specific I'm working toward. I'm doing my first 5k on May 21st. My plan was to make the whole thing without walking. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it. I still have time but I know I'll be ready. I'm still not loving running but I like how great I feel after. That feeling of accomplishment is what keeps me going back for more. I'll probably sign up for another 5K and who knows if I'll go for bigger races down the road. I could always start working on running faster, YIKES!
Last weekend I started looking at triathlons and found a close to home one that is three months away. It is in Monroe, Michigan. The distances were totally doable. 750m swim, 12.x mile bike and 3.x mile run. Those sound pretty easy to me. I decided I would do it. It's called the trekwomen triathlon. My new friend Maria immediately said she'd do it with me. She's going to help me with the running and biking and I'll help her with the swimming. So just like that, I was committed to doing a triathlon and boy am I excited, and nervous a bit too.
I hadn't been on a real bike in about 15 years. I had an old bike and gave it a try but found out quickly the gears were broke and that it wouldn't work so I needed to find a bike. I started asking around but wasn't really having any luck. I realized how expensive the sport of biking can be when I started looking at prices. Holy cow.
Well, after work yesterday I went to a bike shop to learn what I could about the different bikes and see what would be best. I thought I would pick their brains and then come home and look on Craig's List. They don't normally sell used bikes but the owner had a family member who had recently upgraded to a new bike so they had a used one they were selling. It seemed to be perfect for what I was looking for. I took it for a test ride in the parking lot. I had to ask the dumb questions of how to even change gears but the sales person was very nice about it and told me. She didn't make me feel stupid at all. The bike is a hybrid bike that had been upgraded road tires, a computer (odometer), water bottle holder and big squishy seat. I bought an extra tire, helmet and water bottle. I'm ready to bike with my Schwinn Sierra GSX 700.
I took it for a test ride last night and found that I LOVED riding! It was so much more fun that running or riding on a stationary bike. I can't wait to take it to the park and ride for a longer ride. My bootie definitely needs to get in shape for longer rides. I loved how quickly I get to places. I'm so used to walking the open road that the bike ride was like, "WOW" that's quick.
So I'm ready for my triathlon training now. I need to keep working on this running thing. Biking will be fun. Swimming is easy. I've never done an open water swim but I'm suspecting the swim to be easy. I'm plain old excited about all of it though. Less than three months away, I'll be swimming, biking and running in my first tri!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment