I started this journey with Weight Watchers. After getting on track with writing down my daily food intake and learning my body hunger signals I stopped weight watchers. I found that I was eating too much fake food while following the program. It is a good program for many people trying to lose weight but I need real whole food all of the time. I found myself eating lowfat and no-fat dairy, yogurt with fake sugar, frozen entrees, and other foods that don't mesh with what I think I should be fueling my body with.
I continued to track my food with my Body Media software where I was counting calories. I wrote down my food religiously for a couple of months and then started slacking. I'm still losing weight and feel like I have better control over what I put in my mouth. It is very time consuming to keep writing down every morsel of food I put into my mouth. I love being able to get the nutritional info for the day and see not only how many calories but how much protein, carbs, sugar, etc. I was shooting for 75-100 grams of protein each day. I always eat breakfast of some sort. I never go hungry. I always plan food for the day. However, I'm not writing it down any longer. I started using the calorie estimator tool in the software for my Body Media GoWearFit band and making up a number. I've lost accuracy in my totals though.
So now I'm wondering if I am still losing weight, is it ok that I have stopped tracking and writing down each calorie? Is this going to catch up to me and bite me if I don't get back on track? I'm developing life long habits and don't see myself writing down my food intake the rest of my life. I'm trying to listen to my body and eat smaller portion sizes, savor and enjoy each bite, and stop when full. I'm eating wholesome delicious food with very little to no processed food. I drink tons of water. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I eat protein with every meal. I stay away from white flour and sugar as much as I can. If I eat grains or bread, it is a small portion. I'd prefer to fill up on veggies, protein and dairy. I will not give up cheese and eat it regularly; cheese made with raw milk preferably, or at least organic. I choose organic as often as I can find and afford it for all my food choices. I never skimp on the good fats. I eat avocados, olive oil, olives, flax/flax oil, and coconut oil on a regular basis.
With these rules for my eating, do I need to keep counting calories? I'm still losing weight though. I don't want to lose more than 2-3 pounds in a week because I want my body to adjust properly to the weight loss. Since it still seems like I'm on track, I think I just talked myself into continuing to not write down and track as long as I'm still losing weight. If I stop losing any weight for a period of 2 weeks, (I get up and weigh every morning first thing so I know where I'm at) then I promise to go right back to tracking!
No comments:
Post a Comment