Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shin Pain to the Rescue

Ouchie ouie my shins hurt.  Twas a late night at work but I did come home and get in a short workout on the treadmill.  Day 3 of Week 2 of Couch to 5K.  I LOVE ICE.  I'm in love with ice.  Ice is awesome. What would we do without ice?  When are my shins going to stop hurting when I try to run?  I want to hurry up and work through this ridiculous pain.  I've been working out solid since mid-December and I NOW have to start with shin issues?!  What the heck?  I can't even kneel on my knees and sit back slightly because they scream at me.  I need a quick shin fix please.

Alright, fine.  There are no quick fixes.

I worked a shift like I worked far too many times in my past today.  15 hours + sitting at my desk.  Sitting.  Sitting.  And more sitting.  I went to the ice arena (part of the school I work at) again this afternoon for a few minutes on the ice.  At least until I fell up against the side of the rink and banged my pinky on my right hand while trying to protect the thumb on my left hand.  That's about when I decided maybe I better not skate too long.  The good news is that this was my fourth time on the ice and I'm feeling much more confident with my balance.  I'll get there.

I also took a 30 minute walk around the parking lot in the early evening.  Then went back to my desk and sat on my bottom again for a few more hours.  Let me tell you...... I hurt everywhere coming home.  My whole body ached from so much sitting!!!  It is no wonder I've been in so much pain the past few years.  It's from lack of movement during my long work days.  I need to find ways to make myself move more during the day.  I'm killing myself by sitting there.

I feel numb.  I feel stiff.  I feel achy.  I feel tense.  I feel sore.  And worst of all, I feel tired.  Only now I'm so much more in tune with how awful I feel after working one of these long days.  It is evident that I must continue to find balance with work, home, family and health.  I was dead tired and brain dead but forced myself to get on the treadmill.  I'm sure glad I did.  I'd be even more glad if these shins weren't an issue but now I know when I finally lay down I will sleep better, even though I still came short of my target for calorie burn today by 500 calories.

So that's how my shin pain is coming to my rescue.  I ran to beat the pain from sitting far too long at work.  Now there's no more pain from stiffness, numbness, achy, tenseness because I'm too sore with shin pain.  :)  What a bargain.  Oh well, iced and ready for bed.  Night.

3 comments:

  1. You amaze me, because you keep pushing yourself. You are going to be such a machine when you get to FR in July! I wish we were going to be there together I have really bonded with you these past weeks. (oh well) Hang in there, don't over exert your shins they will heal. I had knee pain all week. I had to totally change my workout and I became very acquainted with "ice". ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you watch the Biggest Loser last night? Bob had a little "trainer advice moment" about sitting at your desk all day. He suggested bringing one of those big balls you can work out on and sit on that instead of your chair. He also suggested getting some of those tension bands with the handles on each end to keep at your desk to use off and on through out the day. Sorry I don't have the correct name of these products. But wanted to pass along his advice. I too HATE sitting at a desk ALL day. I am seriously thinking about bringing my ball to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cat I'm hoping you are right and by July I'm ready to get the most out of my week there. It has been nice sharing stories with you. :)
    @Stephany I actually was using a stability ball at my desk earlier this winter until it shrunk one day. I finally just took it home this weekend to fill up again but haven't done it yet. I need to. And I have a resistance band sitting here too, and dumbbells, but it's coming up with a plan to actually DO it at work that is challenging. I get so tied up, well, working. :)

    ReplyDelete