Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I RAN 18 Minutes Straight Today!

Yes, you read that correctly.  This non-runner ran 18 minutes straight today!  Keep in mind that running is the same as jogging in my mind.  It was an active bouncing jog for longer than I think I have jogged or run since I was 18.  I started with the Couch to 5K program to get me running.  I was in week 3 and didn't run for almost a week.  I ran a little the past couple of days but my maximum running time has only been 5 minutes straight.  I was actually quite happy with the 5 minutes I had built up to.  A month ago I was wheezing at 3 minutes.

With stop watch in hand I was ready to alternate 5 min jogging with 5 min walking.  I warmed up with a 5 minute walk and then started jogging.  I had walked this path two days ago and am pretty sure I was told it's 2.5 miles.  It doesn't seem like it though.  Sorry Maria, I have to get my GPS and track it to check the distance.  :)   Two and a half minutes in to my run, I started getting winded but decided to tuck the stop watch up my sleeve and not look at it again and go as far as I could and then look at it.  Then I decided I could go the entire distance.  It was chilly at first and I was sniffling like crazy.  Luckily I thought to tuck tissue up my sleeve.  I didn't stop to blow though.....it was run and wipe for me.  I keep hearing a voice say, "what do you mean you can't run? You can run.".  I heard another voice telling me, "once you hit 30 minutes, you can run a marathon!".  People tell me you have to run past that point where you want to stop.  So I did.

I decided I could make it all the way back to where I started, and I did.  I looked at my watch and it was just over 18 minutes.  Holy cow!  I ran 18 minutes!  I can't believe it!  (Mind you my shins could believe it!)  I posted yesterday how proud I was but tonight I was really proud. I was glad I had an ice pack in my cooler in the car from my lunch box.  I iced my shin and stretched real good before my boot camp class.  And guess what we started with?  Yeah....more running.  Lunges up a hill, jumping jacks, squats, down the hill and repeat two more times before running back again.  Only by this time it was dark and I squished in a mucky puddle of water so I ran back and finished our workout indoors with squishy feet.  I needed to stretch out those running shoes.  Maybe the water will help.  :)

So even though I skipped Zumba tonight so that I could stay and watch my daughter score the winning final run in her softball game tonight, I pushed myself to another new limit.  I feel like I'm getting sick and hope that I'm wrong.  My head, throat and body ache so I will go to bed very soon here.  It's hitting me like a brick now that I'm home again, showered and sitting.  My head feels like it weighs a ton.  I don't know how I did what I did tonight feeling the way I feel.  We are truly capable of so much more than we think.  I'm learning how true that really is.

All you worry warts out there, don't worry.  I am taking care of myself.  I will only push to safe limits.  Like running 20 minutes next time!!!  Word on the street is that I can't go backwards, only forward.  Until next time, this running machine needs to get some sleep so she doesn't break down.  Thanks for reading and sharing in my journey.  If I can do it, so can you!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Way to go Annelise. I know what you mean about going past the point when you want to stop. It seems to get easier at some point during the workout. It is hardest for me in the very beginning. So proud of you and you have every right to be extremely proud of yourself. You go girl! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You set small goals and do it!!! Your next run is 20 min... that is nothing for you!!!
    BTW how many miles is the woodhaven path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robbie.
    Maria, I have a GPS that I can wear to track mileage. I used to wear it while training for the Breast Cancer 3 Day (60 Miles) Walk. I'll bring it with me next time I'm over there and measure. It just seemed shorter because I got done so quick. I know I was running pretty slow and it didn't seem like 2 1/1 miles. We'll see. And yes, my next run will be 20 minutes, slow and steady. I'm not going to worry about speed until I get down endurance. I can't wait to get to Florida next week and run the beach. I have NEVER in my life run the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you! I, too, am a nonrunner who is happy to make it 2 minutes! You give me hope. Thanks for posting this on Biggest Loser Fitness Ridge sight. You've inspired me today, a day when I have no motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to share with you. I just did week one day one of Couch to 5k. Thank you for being my inspiration. We never know where we are going to find our inspiration. But today, you are mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, thank you Roxanne! And kudos to you for completing W1D1 of the Couch to 5k. That's awesome. And it's such a doable plan too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The great thing about so many of you reading my blog is that you really understand how monumental this accomplishment is! I know some people might be thinking that running 5 minutes is no big deal, and even 18 minutes is no big deal. The thing about each and every person's individual journey is that it is just that, individual. So 5 minutes was a huge milestone for me, and the fact that I could even fathom trying to run for 18 minutes was unthinkable before last night. We're all at different levels and need to appreciate each and every one of our own personal accomplishments. (and I think I have a future blog post idea here, look for it to come soon)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annelise I have just read every post and OMG you go girl! I am so excited about having a friend on here to share stories and info with. I don't have a trainer or even a buddy system. My oldest daughter goes with me now and then but otherwise its just me by myself at the gym in front of all the skinny people. It's so truly hard for me and I just try to tune everyone and everything out except my Lady GaGa music. I walk to the beat of the music and it keeps be going. I did the same thing with fast walking as you did with running...put away the timer and just went. I have a long way to go but I know I've overcome some very big hurdles in my life and this is just one more of them. Thanks for your blogging and sharing. Keep up the good work and show the world who you really are " The Annelise Machine".

    ReplyDelete