Monday, February 22, 2010

Snow Day and Renewed Interest in Winter Living

Nothing better than getting a 5:30 AM snow day call when you work for a school district. Although I have to admit I am such a workaholic the past 7 years I've been in my position that a snow day never really meant I was taking the day off.  Since my priorities have changed a bit, a snow day takes on a whole new meaning for me.  It means I had time to get my 8 hours of sleep and I'll have more time to get in more exercise today.  We have a snow blower but I think I'll use a shovel for the extra cardio.  

I've started to dislike winters increasingly each year but I think the new me is going to look at winter as a new opportunity for different activities.  I tend to send hubby out with the kids sledding and to do the shoveling and I rarely go for walks in the snow.  But WHY not?  Why have I become so anti-winter?  It is beautiful!  Sure, it's cold.  Sure, I can't sunbathe, swim or walk on the beach......but there are things I can do.  

I know I've gotten discouraged on finding things to wear out in the snow because of my size.  I know it's become harder to do things in the snow because of my extra weight.  NOT any more!  I wish there was more winter left!  Because I really want to try cross country skiing or snow shoeing.  And I would LOVE to get back into skiing again.  There is a whole world of fun in the winter sports and I am ready to embrace them again.  I know I don't have the wardrobe right now for it but I vow to look for sales and used equipment so that next year I have a plan for each fresh new snow.  I will love living in Michigan again because I will have four beautiful seasons to experience, none of which will be without their own beauty and FUN!

I can't wait to go out and play in the snow today.  Wake up my daughter Olivia! 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, you sound like me on my last snow day. Enjoy it, and remember walking in snow is a great workout if it's still snowing there!! Enjoy, I think its heading my way but it is going to be a slushy mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great attitude Annelise....enjoy your end of season shopping!

    Slushy mess here in Chicago too. I went out today and shoveled, I knew my face was beet red, and the neighbors were probably laughing at me and my lack of skill. But hey, with a 600 calorie burn...now look who's laughing!

    ReplyDelete